Sunday, July 15, 2018

"A Midsummer Night's Dream" Act 1 Scene 2 review

The Director’s Cut:  My Understanding of 1.2
Image result for a midsummer night's dream

Who are these characters?
Quince, Snug, Bottom, Flute, Snout, and Starveling. These characters are men of physically demanding jobs. These characters could attempt to move and sound rough to give themselves the appearance of “manliness”.

What are they doing?
Quince: “Here is the scroll of every man's name, which is

thought fit, through all Athens, to play in our
interlude before the duke and the duchess, on his
wedding-day at night”. Bottom: “A very good piece of work, I assure you, and a
merry. Now, good Peter Quince, call forth your
actors by the scroll. Masters, spread yourselves”.
These tradesmen of Athens are planning to perform a play for their Duke’s wedding celebrations. Allow each character to make their own mark by giving them the spotlight for a moment. They should speak in a way to catch the interest of the audience.

Do these characters know each other well or are they strangers?
Bottom: “I grant you, friends, if you should fright the ladies out of their wits, they would
have no more discretion but to hang us. But I will aggravate my voice so that I will
roar you as gently as any sucking dove. I will roar you an ’twere any nightingale.”
They are clearly friends, so yes, the do know each other. A suggestion would be for the characters to act in a calm way with each other to show that they are friends. Also when
they speak to each other they could be more compassionate, but not to the point of
“babying” each other.

Who is the most important person on stage in this dramatic unit or scene?
Quince: “Some of your French crowns have no hair at all, and then you will play bare-faced. But, masters, here are your parts: and I am to entreat you, request you and desire you, to con them by to-morrow night;and meet me in the palace wood, a mile without the town, by moonlight;there will we rehearse, for if we meet in the city, we shall be dogged with company, and our devices known. In the meantime I will draw a bill of properties, such as our play

wants. I pray you, fail me not.” Quince is the most important person on stage in this scene because he is the one in charge of setting up and organizing the play. Quince should have a voice of leadership and authority among the other characters in the play.

What are the other characters in the scene like?
Snug: “Have you the lion’s part written? Pray you, if it be, give it me, for I am slow of study.”
Snug clearly is not the most intelligent character and he is not able to think for himself.
Flute: “Nay, faith, let me not play a woman. I have a beard coming.”
Flute seems to be a character with a sensitive self esteem and care for his reputation.
Snug should sound desperate and uncomfortable with the idea of not knowing what
is going on. Flute should sound upset and give an attitude even to the idea of him
playing a female role.


No comments:

Post a Comment