Tuesday, July 17, 2018

40 Page Reflection of "The Kite Runner"


The Kite Runner
Image result for the kite runner 
The title of the novel often suggests an underlying theme, idea, or message. Based on what you have read so far indicate the significance of the title. Does the title suggest any connections to your own life or raise any questions?

Based on what I have read so far in “The Kite Runner” I believe that the kites play a big role in the culture in Kabul. The author states “Never mind that we spent entire winters flying kites, running kites”, (Hosseini 20). This shows that kite flying was a great form of entertainment to people in Kabul. This title does make a connection to my life, when I was younger my parents would not let me sit around the house and let me watch tv and play video games all day. My father told me to find myself a hobby and eventually I got myself into flying kites. For a couple years making and flying kites became one of my main hobbies.

When you read, you should be asking questions about what is happening. Make three predictions about what you feel may happen next. Support your predictions with evidence from the text thus far.

I believe that something bad will happen to Hassan because already in the beginning of the book he is being dricriminatized, “You! The hazara” (Hosseini 5). I believe that Amir will betray Hassan. He treats him like his puppet for personal use and does not worry about the consequences of the actions he makes Hassan do such as shooting the neighbors dog and taking the blame for it, even though Hassan is his one of his only truly loyal friends. I predict that maybe Hassan's mother will be introduced later on, the author foreshadowed, “Hassan never talked about his mother, as if she’d never existed. I always wondered if he dreamed about her.” (Hosseini 5).

Write down two favourite quotations from the text. Explain the significance of each so far in the novel.

“But we were kids who had learned to crawl together, and no history, ethnicity, society, or religion was going to change that either. I spent most of the first twelve years of my life playing with Hassan. Sometimes, my entire childhood seems like one long lazy summer day with Hassan, chasing each other between tangles of trees in my father's yard, playing hide-and-seek, cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, insect torture – with our crowning achievement undeniably the time we plucked the stinger off a bee and tied a string around the poor thing to yank it back every time it took flight.” (Hosseini 20). In this quote Amir explained the deep history of friendship between him and Hassan. Although he explains them to be such good friends, Hassan and AMir are from two different levels of society and Hassan being the lower (Hazara). I want to see if they truly are friends and if they will stick up from one another to superior people.
“Assef gritted his teeth. “Put it down you motherless Hazara”.” This was soon after we are introduced to a antagonist of the book, Assef. He is a very racist boy with a heavy history of violence and racism. You can see how he spoke to Hassan and this foreshadowed a future of conflict between each other. Also I took note that Amir did not stand up for Hassan at all, and this also showed that he is not a true loyal friend.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment